Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cooks Creek School No. 20 (RM of Springfield)
The Cooks Creek School District was established in December 1872 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW31-11-6E in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. The district was dissolved in 1965 and its catchment area became part of the Oakbank Consolidated School District. The former schoolhouse was later renovated into a private residence and removed from the site sometime after 1986.
Among the teachers of Cooks Creek School was Peter M. Onysko.
Dugald topographic map, 62H/15, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Robert Marusyk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 February 2017
Back to top of page