Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clark Park (Chudley Street, Winnipeg)
Previously owned by Charles Whitfield Clark, this 1.5-acre Winnipeg property was located at the southwest corner of Burrows Avenue (prior to re-alignment) at Chudley Street. Valued at $1,350, it was donated to the city in 1909. Named by the Winnipeg Parks Board after Clark in January 1910, the grounds remained undeveloped and, by 1941, the Parks Board was considering an exchange of the property for real estate in the downtown area or elsewhere within a neighbourhood lacking a public park. Instead, the land was turned over to the Winnipeg School Division and became part of the Shaughnessy School site. The former park location is now a parking lot and exterior paved school play surface.
“Names for new parks,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 14 January 1910, page 18.
“Here and there with the camera,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 December 1933, page 3.
“Few downtown lots found suitable for use as children’s playgrounds,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 February 1941, page 2.
“Sargent is exclusive for lovers of sport,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 July 1941, page 3.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 3 March 2017
Back to top of page