Historic Sites of Manitoba: Children’s Hospital Nurses’ Residence / Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy for Girls (131 Aberdeen Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick building on Aberdeen Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Raymond Marwood-Elton Carey and built in 1918 as a Nurses' Residence for the Winnipeg Children’s Hospital. The structure measured 49 feet wide and 139 feet long and cost around $90,000 to complete. The building was officially opened by Premier T. C. Norris during a nursing graduation ceremony on 17 December 1918.
In the mid-1950s, the building, along with the surrounding hospital site, was acquired by the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate (Roman Catholic Church) following construction of the new Children’s Hospital (opened 2 December 1956) on the expanded grounds of the Winnipeg General Hospital. The former Children’s Hospital site was acquired for $250,000 and the hospital building was converted into the Holy Family Personal Care Home. The Nurses’ Residence was converted into a school, operating as The Immaculate Heart of Mary Academy for Girls. The school operated until 1963 when it was replaced with a new quarters in the former St. Nicholas School. The structure was then turned into a residence for the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate.
Photos & Maps
“To erect new Nurses' Home,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 May 1918, page 5.
“Norris opens Nurses' Home,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 December 1918, page 19.
“Secure $50,000 for Nurses' Home at Children's Hospital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 February 1919, page 7.
“Ask public to support annual hospital bazaar,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 November 1920, page 40.
“Children's Hospital: a haven for aged?” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 November 1955, page 3.
“Nothing but the best for sick children,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 December 1958, page 50.
“Opening ceremonies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 December 1956, page 50.
“Ukrainians launch home for aged here,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 May 1957, page 3.
“UCWL Reception is planned Wednesday for scholar fund,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 September 1958, page 18.
“Tea proceeds slated for Academy library,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 September 1960, page 20.
“[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 December 1960, page 26.
“2,000 watch opening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 April 1963, page 7.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 26 December 2018
Back to top of page