Historic Sites of Manitoba: Allarie School No. 882 (RM of St. Francois Xavier)
The Laurier School District was formed on 1 July 1896. A school house was built 400 meters south of this monument, in the Rural Municipality of St. Francois Xavier. In 1918 the district’s name was changed to Allarie, the name of a nearby ferry operator. This school, and another across the river, served students north and south of the Assiniboine River until 1934 when the district was divided. During the school’s 70-year history, an average of 25 pupils in grades 1 to 10 attended this one-room school. On 6 January 1966, the structure was destroyed by fire. The following year, the district was dissolved to become part of the White Horse Plain School Division.
Among the teachers of Allarie School were Miss Lettie Wood (1914) and Miss McDonell (c1916).
Treasures of Time: The Rural Municipality of Cartier, 1914-1984 by RM of Cartier, c1985. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.C37 Tre]
We thank Shirley Christianson of Portage la Prairie for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 April 2015
Back to top of page