Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cartwright School No. 174 (Cartwright, Municipality of Cartwright-Roblin)
The Cartwright School District was organized formally in April 1884, replacing an earlier school that had operated from 1882 at NW18-2-14W, northwest of the present Cartwright town site. Following the relocation of the town to its present location, in 1885, the first school was built in August 1888 at the same site as the present Cartwright School. It was replaced in 1896-1897 by a one-storey brick and stone schoolhouse erected on a design by Brandon architect W. H. Shillinglaw, and the earlier schoolhouse was moved a block away for use as a private residence which remains in existence today.
In 1920, two classrooms were added to the 1897 school building and this structure served the educational needs of the community until it was destroyed by fire on 13 February 1950. A new school was built that same year, on the same site: a two-storey, flat-roofed stucco building. As the school population grew, first a workroom, then a gymnasium were converted to classrooms. In 1962, a new collegiate was built to the south and the 1950 structure was used for the elementary grades. In 1978, a gymnasium and two classrooms were built between the two buildings, joining them.
The 1950 elementary school building was closed in 2006 due to high mould levels. The student population had declined by then, and students were crowded into the collegiate building. Eventually, two portable classrooms were added at the south end. The 1950 building was torn down in 2009 and its site is now a gravel bus pad.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Vicki Wallace and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 February 2021