This two-storey brick building on Princess Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect J. H. G. Russell and built in 1901 by Daniel D. Wood and George A. Mitchell to house the animal feed business of William G. Douglas. In September 2015, it became a municipally-designated historic building.
Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton Gordon Russell (1863-1946)
Memorable Manitobans: William Grigg Douglas (1863-1936)
Memorable Manitobans: Daniel David Wood (1859-1925)
Memorable Manitobans: George Andrews Mitchell (1857-1909)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Carnefac Block, 188 Princess Street, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, May 2015.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 March 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.