Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carlsborg School No. 1776 (RM of Armstrong)
The Carlsborg School District was established in February 1915 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE1-17-1W in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong. The building was destroyed in a brush fire around Easter 1944, after which students from this area went to McFarlane School. The district remained in existence until 1964 when it was dissolved and its area was added to the Teulon Consolidated School District.
The teachers who worked at Carlsborg School included Mildred H. Gordon (1916), B. Curtis (1917), A. Rosenblad (1917), G. Coyle (1918), M. B. Nixon (1919), E. Matheson (1920), E. Cox (1920), W. Danielson (1921), R. Stewart (1922), W. L. Rankin (1923), Henry T. Nordin (1925), E. F. Peterson (1928), R. R. Sadler (1931), V. Werier (1933), C. Shoup (1935), R. R. McLaughlin (1936), H. Remple (1938), A. Main (1941), and Annie M. Jones (1943-1944).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Interlake Beckoned: A History of Inwood and Surrounding Districts by Inwood History Book Committee, 1980. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.I59 Int]
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 March 2017
Back to top of page