Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carberry Grain Monument (Fourth Avenue, Carberry)

In 1878, the Carberry district and Rural Municipality of North Cypress, then known as the Big Plain, were being settled. In the summer of 1881, the Canadian Pacific Railway reached Carberry, bringing with it a wave of settlers. The area growth was underway.

The railway’s arrival encouraged grain companies to build elevators. In 1893, six companies were represented on the Carberry market: Ogilvie Flour Mills Company, Lake of the Woods Milling Company, Logan Elevator Company, Northern Elevator Company, G. Rogers Elevator Company, and Bready Love & Tryon Grain Company. Over the years, many facilities were bought and traded, bringing other companies to Carberry for varying periods of time. These other companies were the Colonial Elevator Company, Manitoba Milling Company, Lyons Elevator Company, Winnipeg Elevator Company, William Hope Grain Company, Carberry Elevator Company, Murphy’s Grain Compoany, Reliance Grain Company, Manitoba Pool Elevators, and United Grain Growers. In following years, elevators were constructed at Wellwood, Fairview, Brookdale, and Gregg to provide closer service for farmers north of Carberry. Later, elevators were also constructed at Harte and Petrel. The last company to remain in the Town of Carberry was United Grain Growers whose elevator was dismantled in April 1983, the district’s centennial year.

This monument on Fourth Avenue, opposite the Municipal Office, was erected by United Grain Growers and unveiled officially on 6 July 1983 by company president L. F. Hehn and local board chairman Lester Baron.

Carberry Grain Monument

Carberry Grain Monument (April 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.86578, W99.35899
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 6 December 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.