Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cadurcis Presbyterian Church / Cadurcis United Church (RM of Oakview)
The first Presbyterian church in this part of the Rural Municipality of Saskatchewan (now part of the Rural Municipality of Oakview) was established in 1883, before which services were held in private homes. A modest structure made of logs, in 1904 the church was replaced by a wood frame building measuring 38 feet long and 26 feet wide. Services and meetings were held in the Cadurcis School until the building was ready. A shelterbelt of spruce trees was planted around the church in 1927, soon after the church became part of the United Church of Canada. During a violet electrical storm on 29 July 1951, the church caught fire and was destroyed, but the piano, organ, and pulpit were saved. Services were held in a nearby shed from August to November, when it became too cold to continue. Meanwhile, construction of a new church began in earnest; a concrete basement was poured and it was used for services while the upper level was being built. The first service in the upper level was held on 10 February 1952. A dedication service was held on 15 June 1952. The original siding was replaced with the present lapboard siding in 1973. The roof was reshingled in July 2000.
Photos & Maps
Cadurcis, 1883 – 1904 – 1952. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.C34 Bri]
Cadurcis, United in Memories: 1970-2008. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.C34 Cad]
Obituary [Kenneth Alexander McKillop], Winnipeg Free Press, 12 August 1997, page 41.
We thank Donna Meder for providing additional information used here.[an error occurred while processing this directive]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 October 2018
Back to top of page