Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cadurcis School No. 179 (RM of Oakview)

The Cadurcis School District was established in June 1884 and a school building measuring 22 feet by 18 feet was constructed at NW12-15-19W in the Rural Municipality of Saskatchewan, on land donated by local settler Hugh McNabb, using logs sawn at Cameron’s Mill in the Rolling River Valley. In early 1892, the building was moved to NE2-15-19W to one-half acre of land donated by farmer Donald Ross.

By 1900, increasing student enrollment necessitated extending the school building by 12 feet, at a cost of $176. But by June 1916, the school was closed permanently, with students from this area being transported hereafter to Basswood Consolidated School. The school building is no longer present at the site but a commemorative monument was unveiled here on 2 October 1983. It was found to be badly damaged at the time of a site visit in August 2014.

Among the teachers who worked at Cadurcis School through the years were Robert Campbell (1883), Sarah Reid Short (1884, 1886), Miss E. Smith (1891), Miss A. Bolton (1892-1893), Miss C. Jennings (1894), Maude McGillvary (1895), Mr. Davies (1896), Miss E. Cameron (1897-1898), Miss Rear (1899-1900), Miss Kyle (1901-1902), Miss Bennett (1903), Miss Conn (1904), Mr. A. M. Cline (1905), Miss Poole (1905), Eve Swinbank (1906), Mary Ross (1907-1908), Miss M. Hodgson (1909), Miss M. S. Atkinson (1909), Jean Drummond (1910), Letta M. Dickie (1910-1911), Mabel McMartin (1912-1913), Miss M. Leckie (1914), Bessie Wickware (1914), Margaret Wickware (1915), and Nora Singleton (1915-1916).

Site of the former Cadurcis School along with damaged commemorative monument

Site of the former Cadurcis School along with damaged commemorative monument (August 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.25510, W99.97690
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Basswood Leaves From the Past, Basswood & District Centennial, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38Bas]

Basswood, 1878-1978: A Century of Living by Basswood and District Historical Book Society, 1980. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38 Bas]

Cadurcis: United in Memories, 1970-2008, Cadurcis History Book Committee, 2008. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C34Cad]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 26 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.