Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

MHS Multicultural Dinner 2019
2019
Multicultural
Dinner

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brigdenley Consolidated School No. 497 (RM of Dufferin)

This cairn, situated in the southwest corner of 17-6-3 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin, commemorates Brigdenley Consolidated School. Formed in December 1909 from the consolidation of Brigden School No. 497 with McKinley School No. 1462. Brigden School had been established in April 1887 and operated at the same location, whereas McKinley School was only established in May 1908 and a building for it was never constructed because local residents decided it made more sense to transport their students to Brigden School and pay the district a non-resident fee. The experiment was successful so, a year later, the two school districts merged as Brigdenley Consolidated School. The building measured 26 by 40 feet, situated on two acres of land. The school closed in 1965 and was formally dissolved in January 1968.

Among the teachers who worked at Brigdenley School were Beatrice Hawken and Colin S. Walley.

Brigdenley School

Brigdenley Consolidated School (circa 1912)
Source: Consolidation Report, 1912.

Brigdenley School

Brigdenley School (1968)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Architectural Survey - Homewood 6.

Brigdenley School

Brigdenley School Monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.47329, W97.84359
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: McKinley School No. 1462 (RM of Mountain)

Sources:

Consolidation of Rural Schools in Manitoba: Special Report of the Department of Education for the Year 1912, Manitoba Legislative Library, Manitoba SpR 1912 Rural Schools.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 April 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.