Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Water Tower (Park Street, Brandon)

Brandon’s water tower, also known as the Horton elevated gravity supply water tank, was constructed in late 1930 by the Horton Steel and Iron Works of Bridgburg, Ontario for $49,500. On 12 December 1930 it was filled to its 625,000-gallon capacity for the first time and began delivering treated water to the residents of the growing community the following week. In 1931, the East End Community Club was created on the land around it.

The tower was decommissioned in 2005 and, in 2011, Brandon city council voted to demolish the landmark. Community pressure caused the decision to be reversed in October 2011. It is one of the oldest remaining examples of a Horton tank of that size in Canada.

Brandon Water Tower

Brandon Water Tower (October 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84294, W99.93289
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Christian Cassidy and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.