Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boundary School No. 1339 (Municipality of Pembina)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

The Boundary School District was organized formally in May 1905. A two-storey wood frame school building, a rarity in Manitoba, was constructed in the village of Mowbray in the Municipality of Pembina. There were two classrooms on the main floor and an assembly / concert hall on the second floor. The bell tower on the roof was found to be unstable and was later removed.

After the school closed around 1960, students in this area were transported to Manitou Consolidated School No. 314. The district was dissolved in 1967. The building sat vacant until some time in the 1980s when it demolished for its lumber content. As of 2012, the bell is located in a nearby farmyard.

The teachers who worked at Boundary School through the years were Miss M. Whittacker (1906), Mary Affleck (1908), Mary MacLean (1909), Janet Pritchard (1910), Minnie Finley (1911-1912), Pearl MacCabe Scales (1913), Rebecca Johnston (1914-1915), Mabel Alsaker (1914-1916), Mary Burke (1915-1917), Hazel Stewart (1916-1917), Josie Weaver (1917-1918), Ida Atkinson (1917-1918), Chris Moffatt (1918-1919), Harry Hutter (1918-1920), Denstedt (1919-1920), Alice Finley (1920-1924), Veda Johnston (1925-1926), Violet Johnston (1926-1928), Walter Mark (1928-1929), Lillian Steeves (1929-1932), Marian Hamilton (1932-1936), Marguerite Mitchell (1937-1938), Constance Lovelace (1938-1939), Elsie Morgan (1939-1942), Margaret Potter (1942-1943), Gloria Shingleton (1943-1944), Norma Johnston (1944-1945), Shirley Burnett (1945-1946), Mildred Burnett (1946-1947), Helen Reimer (1947-1948), Mary Kerda (1948-1950), Alvin Neustaedter (1950-1951), Baldwin Berg (1951-1953), Ella Shiskoski (1953-1954), Angela Pantel (1954-1955), Mrs. M. J. Moffatt (1954-1956), Phyllis Brown (1956-1957), Annie Lawson (1957-1958), Lora Fast (1958-1959), Mary Foster (1959-1960), Donna Hume (1959-1960), Allan Thiessen (1960-1961), Dorothy Gower (1961-1963), Evelyn Fulford (1963-1964), Janice Sandercock (1964-1965), Mrs. Williamson (1965), Mae Jackson (1965-1966), and Hugh Lumgair (1966-1967).

Boundary School

Boundary School (circa 1905) by Cecil F. Guest
Source: Archives of Manitoba.

Boundary School

Boundary School (circa 1910)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2016-0069

Boundary School

Boundary School (no date) by G. G. Neufeld
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 100.

Boundary School

The former Boundary School building (1968)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Architectural Survey, Mowbray.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.00151, W98.48699
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mowbray School No. 245 (Municipality of Pembina)

Manitoba Organization: Boundary School Division No. 16

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Al Thorleifson and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 June 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.