Historic Sites of Manitoba: Belleview School No. 598 (Belleview, RM of Sifton)
The Belleview School District was established formally in June 1889. A one-room frame school building was erected in 1898, on the southeast corner of 36-7-26 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Sifton. In 1920, it was moved to this site in the village of Belleview. The school closed in 1969 and the building was moved to the recreation grounds in the village of Pipestone. A monument dedicated on 10 July 1988 commemorates Belleview School at its former site.
Among the teachers of Belleview School were Miss Newcombe (1898), Miss Cameron (1898-1899), Miss M. E. Brown (1900), James W. Arsenault (1901), Miss O. M. McLean (1902), Miss Mabel W. Spurr (1903), Miss Jennie Down (1903), Miss Annie M. Laycock (1904), Mr. Stanley Dolijies (1905), Mr. Donald A. McNiven (1906-1907), Miss May McPherson (1907-1908), Mr. Lester Mcintyre (1908), Miss Lena M. McCharles (1908), Miss H. L. Cameron (1909), Miss V. C. Ball (1909-1910), Miss Mabel Spurr (1910-1912), Miss Clara Hayward (1912), Miss Luella Lang (1913), Miss Alma Umphrey (1914), Miss C. Lambert (1914), Miss E. Dear (1914), Miss Norah Pigg (1915), Miss Gladys Clarke (1915), Miss Polly McDougall (1916), Miss Dorothy Wilkins (1916), Miss Ila Sproule (1917), Miss Myrtle Kane (1917-1918), Miss Mary Scharff (1918-1919), Miss Gladys Ray (1919-1920), Miss Edith W. Cook (1920-1921), Miss Gladys Ray (1921), Miss Gladys White (1922-1924), Miss Bessie Hawe (1924-1926), Miss Beatrice McCall (1926-1929), Miss Jessie Wiechman (1929-1930), Miss Ruth Muirhead (1930-1931), Miss Gladys McIntyre (1931-1932), Mr. Otto Perlett (1932-1933), Miss Dora Lytle (1933-1935), Miss Pat Glover (1935-1936), Miss Phyllis Patmore (1936-1937), Miss Margaret Rowan (1937-1938), Miss Thelma Schreiner (1938-1940), Miss Della Shoemaker (1940-1941), Mr. Steve Symbolistry (1941-1942), Miss Rose Armstrong (1942), Mr. Ronald Bean (1943), Miss Vera White (1943-1944), Miss Georgina Bray (1944-1945), Miss Elaine Smith (1945-1946), Mr. Bill Olson (1946), Mr. Allan McCulloch (1947), Miss Jean Atchison (1947-1948), Miss Blanche Lott, Mrs. Mary Chalmers (1948-1952), Mrs. A. I. Duffy (1952-1953), Miss Mary Zayachkowski (1953), Mrs. M. Moffat (1954), Mrs. M. Moffatt (1954), Mrs. Beatrice M. Hutton (1955), Mrs. Beatrice Hutton (1955), Mrs. Nancy Rodd (1956), Mrs. Ruth Curtis (1956-1957), Mrs. B. M. Hutton (1958-1959), Mrs. Beatrice Hutton (1959-1960), Miss Claire Perras (1960-1963), Mrs. Joan Dufily (1963-1965), Miss Donna Gibson (1965-1966), and Miss Laurel Ann Morris (1966-1969).
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, page 69. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 July 2017
Back to top of page