On the site of this monument once stood the village of Bates, in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin, which existed here from 1891 to 1912. Named for its first postmaster, John Bates, the village consisted of a church, store, school, post office, and blacksmith shop. The community was bypassed by the railroad in favour of the nearby community of Sperling.
This sign was erected in 2003 by the Carman-Dufferin Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee.
Bates sign (August 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.51736, W97.80895
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Almassipi Post Office (RM of Dufferin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Salterville Post Office (RM of Dufferin)
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 August 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.