Historic Sites of Manitoba: Almassipi Post Office (Almassipi, RM of Dufferin)
Also spelled as Almasippi or Almassippi, a post office opened in the northwest quarter of 16-7-6 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin, northwest of the village of Graysville, in 1885. It later moved to NE16-7-6W, then NE16-7-6W, and finally SE10-7-6W. It is claimed the name merged the Latin word “alma” and the Aboriginal word “sipi” meaning “benign water.” The postmasters were, in turn, John Lawrenson (1885-1902), Frank E. Smith (1902-1909), Wes W. Card (1909-1913), and William Irvine (1913-1925). The post office closed in 1925.
A sign at the site was erected in 2003 by the Carman-Dufferin Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee.
Post Office and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 January 2018
Back to top of page