Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


Manitoba
History

No. 86


MHS Spring
Field Trip


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baskerville School No. 1819 (Rosa, Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)

The Baskerville School District was established in April 1916 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE33-3-5E in what is now the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin. In 1967, the district became part of the Boundary School Division. The school building is no longer present at the site but its shelterbelt of trees and water well remain there.

Among the teachers of Baskerville School were C. A Bunton (1917-1918), Eli S. Jenkins (1918), Isidore W. Goresky (1919-1920, 1921, 1922-1924), Henry N. Powell (1920), K. Gwozdz? (1921), John H. Emmes? (1921), Andrew Hundka (1921-1922), Nicholas Punak (1924-1925), John P. Tanchak (1925-1927), N. Rogan (1927), M. C. MacEwen (1927), Pauline Braschuk (1928-1931), John Walter Melorn? (1931-1934), Anne Robarecki (1934-1935), Effie Koroluk (1935-1938), Dennis Nazeravich (1938-1939), Emil Joseph Borsa (1939-1940), Peter Pryshun (1941), Frank Klassen (1942), Mary P. Paley (1943-1954), Mary Ann Chubey (1954-1956), Elsie Helen Ewanchuk (1956-1957), Miss A. Slusarchuk (1957), John F. Harms (1957-1958), Roman Dmytro Smook (1958-1959), Mary Mandziuk (1959-1960), Effie Stepaniuk Tataryn (1960-1962), Miss M. T. Darewych (1962-1963), Edward Felix Goletski (1963-1964), Dmytro Tanchak (1964-1965), Lawrence Dan Chubey (1965-1966), and Alice Donna Ostrowsky (1966-1967).

Baskerville School with its teacherage at left

Baskerville School with its teacherage at left (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 41.

The former site of Baskerville School with its water well visible at right

The former site of Baskerville School with its water well visible at right (April 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.25854, W96.85033
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

St. Malo West topographic map, 62H/7 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Baskerville School No. 1819 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 21 December 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.