Historic Sites of Manitoba: Barkfield School No. 1951 (RM of Hanover)
The Barkfield School District was established in February 1919 and a school building was erected later that year on the southwest quarter of 21-4-6E in the Rural Municipality of Hanover, near the village of Pansy. Most of the first students were of Ukrainian or Mennonite descent. In 1968, the school closed when it was absorbed into the Hanover School Division. Students in grades 1 to 6 went to Lister East School while those in grades 7 and 8 went to Grunthal. The building was later moved to the Mennonite Heritage Village Museum where it was restored to its appearance when in use as a school. A commemorative sign was erected in 2005-2006 by the Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk (1939-2006) and the District School Heritage Association.
Among the teachers who worked at Barkfield School were W. G. Booth, Harry J. Marko, William A. Katchur, John Frank Boitson, Abe W. Schellenberg, Katherine Janz, H. M. Friesen, Peter Pauls, John H. Sawatsky, Herta Schwartz, Ben Thiessen, K. Warden, Jean Doerksen, John J. Kolinsky, Harry Johnson, Mrs. Olga Slotiuk, Andrew Sobering, E. H. Troughton, Susanna Reimer, Dietrich Penner, J. L. Reimer, Sarah Unrau, Jacob P. Rempel, Mrs. F. Thomson, Sam Letwinetz, and Burt Penner.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division, 1878-1968 by John K. Schellenberg, Steinbach: The Board of the Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985.
Obituary [John Frank Boitson], Winnipeg Free Press, 14 March 1968, page 33.
Obituary [Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk], Winnipeg Free Press, 26 January 2006.
We thank Ernest Braun for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 August 2017
Back to top of page