Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mennonite Village Museum / Mennonite Heritage Village (Highway 12, Steinbach)
Established in 1967 by the Manitoba Mennonite Historical Society in collaboration with the Town of Steinbach and the Rural Municipality of Hanover, on a 40-acre site north of Steinbach, this facility was known originally as the Mennonite Village Museum. It was renamed the Mennonite Heritage Village in 1987. Open year-round as one of Manitoba’s Signature Museums, it tells the story of Mennonite faith and culture through the centuries, from the 16th century to the present day.
The site contains many restored historic buildings, including a Semlin (sod house), two housebarns, Mennonite church, general store, print shop, blacksmith shop, Mennonite Private School, and Barkfield School No. 1951. It features Canada’s only operational windmill, a 2001 reconstruction of one built in 1877. Also on the grounds is a monument bearing several commemorative plaques as well as a plaque erected by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba in commemoration of the Mennonite East Reserve. (A plaque commemorating the Mennonite West Reserve can be found in the village of Rosenfeld.)
The Waldheim Mennonite House-Barn is the oldest heritage building at the museum. It was built around 1876 by Julius Dyck in the village of Waldheim, three miles south of Morden. The house was dismantled a few years later and moved to a new location outside the village. In the early 1960s it was moved to Mennonite Heritage Village. Restoration was done with funding from the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program.
The Chortitz Mennonite House-Barn was built in 1892 by Jacob & Justina Teichroeb in the village of Chortitz South of Winkler. It was moved to the Steinbach Mennonite Heritage Village Museum.
Hochfeld House, is one of the earliest log dwellings built in the Mennonite village of Hochfeld, circa 1877, by Johann and Katharina Wiebe. It was modified many times and remained occupied until 1985.
Photos & Coordinates
“Souvenirs of 1967,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 July 1965, page 17.
Page revised: 27 January 2022