Historic Sites of Manitoba: Aikins House / Riverbend School for Girls / Balmoral Hall (630 Westminster Avenue, Winnipeg)
When J. A. M. Aikins died in 1929, he stipulated in his will that his former residence be used as a school for girls, and bequeathed a further amount for its upkeep. His son, G. H. Aikins, also presented his own home (the Red House) to the school. As a result, Riverbend School for Girls, named after the first building, was opened in September 1929 at the present site of Balmoral Hall School. The Aikins House is a municipally-designated historic site.
In 1930, a new two-storey 44-foot by 92-foot building of cut stone and white brick was added to the northeast side of the existing structure, to which it was connected. Built by Fraser and MacDonald, the expansion cost some $70,000 and contained six classrooms, gymnasium, music hall, dining room, kitchen, and shower baths. The school was operated by the United Church of Canada.
In 1950, Riverbend School for Girls amalgamated with the Rupert’s Land Girls’ School (previously known as Havergal College of Winnipeg). The amalgamated entity was known briefly as Rupert’s Land - Riverbend Girls School. A vote was held and the newly unified school, at the time of its opening in September 1950, was renamed Balmoral Hall School for Girls. A senior school wing was added in 1954, replacing the 122 Carlton Street location, and further capacity was added in 1961, with the opening of a new two-storey expansion. The building cost $300,000 and hosted drawing rooms, classrooms, and residences for 60 students. It was officially opened by Lieutenant-Governor Errick French Willis on 22 September 1961 and named in commemoration of Mary Jane Dalton, the first Principal of Havergal College. The structure replaced the function of the existing Red House.
Board of Governors Chairs
Principals / Headmistresses
Teachers (partial list)
Photos & Maps
“Permit for Riverbend School annex issued,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 July 1930, page 3.
“Riverbend's new enlargement is near completion,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 August 1930, page 23.
“Riverbend School for Girls to expand teaching service,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 August 1932, page 11.
“Riverbend will open mid month,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 September 1933, page 9.
“Miss Rutherford head of physical education at Riverbend School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 June 1934, page 7.
“Riverbend School announces new appointments to staff,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 August 1937, page 7.
[Photo caption, Miss Dorothy Lowman], Winnipeg Tribune, 22 August 1940, page 10.
“Retires from Riverbend Board,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 June 1944, page 7.
“Amalgamated schools post headmistress,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 June 1950, page 3.
“New Headmistress pays first visit to schools,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 June 1950, page 11.
“Balmoral Hall name chosen for school organized on girls school merger,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 September 1950, page 10.
“New residence opened for Balmoral Hall,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 September 1961, page 12.
[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 11 June 1964, page 13.
Page revised: 25 September 2016
Back to top of page