Located in Assiniboine Park, the current structure opened in May 1930, replacing a similar building from 1908 that had burned to the ground a year earlier. It had been designed by architect Cyril Chivers. In 1997, the building was completely renovated into a restaurant and art gallery for three internationally recognized Manitoba artists – Ivan Eyre, Clarence Tillenius and Walter J. Phillips. It is now a municipally-designated historic site.
Postcard view of original Assiniboine Park Pavilion, destroyed by fire in 1929 (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2018-0066
Assiniboine Park Pavilion (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Assiniboine Park Pavilion (2016)
Source: Desiree Rolfe
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87189, W97.23028
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Assiniboine Park Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Assiniboine Park Conservatory (15 Conservatory Drive, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Assiniboine Park Pavilion, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 1982.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Desiree Rolfe.
Page revised: 20 May 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.