This palatial house in the Crescentwood area of Winnipeg was designed for hardware merchant J. H. Ashdown by local architect J. H. G. Russell and constructed between 1912 and 1913. The building was bought by the Shriners in 1952 and used for their meetings. They built a one-storey addition to the rear of the building. When the Khartum Temple was moved to a new facility in south Winnipeg, the building was renovated for use as a restaurant. In 2002, the building (a municipally-designated historic site) was recognized with a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
A collection of photographs of the building by J. H. G. Russell is held at the Archives of Manitoba.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ashdown Warehouse (167 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: William Ashdown House (121 Kate Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Some Old Winnipeg Buildings by Randy R. Rostecki
MHS Transactions, Series 3, Number 29, 1972-73 season
Historical Tour: Crescentwood, Winnipeg’s Best Residential District by Rosemary Malaher
Manitoba History, Number 24, Autumn 1992
Historical Tours in Manitoba: A Walking Tour of Crescentwood (Winnipeg)
Khartum Temple / J. H. Ashdown House (529 Wellington Crescent), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, March 1983.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 October 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.