Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ashdown Warehouse (167-179 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg)

In 1894, Winnipeg merchant James Henry Ashdown commissioned local architect Samuel Frank Peters to design a large warehouse at 167 Bannatyne Avenue for his growing hardware business, and successfully obtained permission to have a railway spur line constructed behind the building erected in 1895. The original structure, built by contractor Sinclair Balsor Ritchie, was four storeys high.

In 1899, architect John Hamilton Gordon Russell designed a four-storey warehouse for Ashdown at 179 Bannatyne, to serve the grocery wholesale firm of Codville and Company. Initially separated from 167 Bannatyne by a vacant lot, over the next 11 years, Russell designed various additions that connected the two buildings and increased its height to six storeys.

The Ashdown company was sold in 1971 and the building, a municipally-designated historic site, has been renovated into commercial and residential space. These renovations were recognized with a Heritage Winnipeg Conservation Award in 1989.

Ashdown Warehouse at 167 Bannatyne

Ashdown Warehouse at 167 Bannatyne (circa 1903)
Source: An Illustrated Souvenir of Winnipeg

Ashdown Warehouse at 167 Bannatyne

Ashdown Warehouse at 167 Bannatyne (April 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Ashdown Warehouse at 167 Bannatyne

Ashdown Warehouse at 167 Bannatyne (February 2021)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Ashdown Warehouse at 179 Bannatyne

Ashdown Warehouse at 179 Bannatyne (February 2021)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89764, W97.13670
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Frank Peters (1847-1926)

Memorable Manitobans: Sinclair Balsor Ritchie (1855-1933)

Memorable Manitobans: James Henry Ashdown (1844-1924)

Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton Gordon Russell (1863-1946)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ashdown House (529 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ashdown Building (476 Main Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

Ashdown Warehouse (167 Bannatyne Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1984.

We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 June 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.