Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years


Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Top 10

Young Historians 2019

Manitoba History No. 89

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old

Abandoned Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arthur Oliver School (647 School Road, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Construction of the school began in 1967 based on designs of the Winnipeg architectural firm Pratt Lindgren Snider Tomcej and Associates and named for school board official Arthur Oliver. The facility was part of a three-school, 82-classroom, $1,415,064 building spree to keep pace with the skyrocketing enrollment demands in the Assiniboine North School Division. (Other schools were Voyageur and Bedson.) The school featured a gymnasium at the centre, ringed with 15 rooms (classrooms and offices) totaling some 23,211 square feet. The Taubensee Construction Company Limited began work on 30 May 1967 and the school was opened on 29 May 1968, upon which students from Kirkfield Park School transferred over.

By 1988, the school’s enrollment had dwindled to 142 and, in the summer of 1989, the building was put up for lease. A 1992 proposal to convert it into a senior citizens club was rejected so the building was put up for sale in 1993. It was later demolished and the site is presently occupied by a supermarket.





Mr. H. Wiebe


Ron Sigurdson




Lyall Evert Sims (1930-1996)


Sharon Smith




Dorothy Young


No information.

Photos & Maps

The former Arthur Oliver School

The former Arthur Oliver School (no date)
Source: Dean Mullin

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88161, W97.28884
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kirkfield Park School / Sturgeon Creek School (615 School Road, Winnipeg)

Memorable Manitobans: Arthur Raymond Oliver (1916-1977)


“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 May 1967, page 12.

“Assiniboia school construction starts,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 June 1967, page 28.

“School opening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 May 1968, page 3.

“Three schools in three days,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 May 1968, page 3.

Dept of Mines and Technical Services, Surveys and Mapping Branch, 62H 14f St Charles, 1969.

“The City of Winnipeg election Booth Ward,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 October 1973, page 27.

“School battle support claimed,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 April 1988, page 3.

“The St. James - Assiniboia School Division requests proposals to lease,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Western Edition, 18 June 1989, page 5.

“Seniors plan to take over former Arthur Oliver School,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly West Edition, 3 March 1992, page 6.

“Empty schools go up for sale,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 May 1993, page B3.

We thank the St. James Assiniboia School Division and Dean Mullin for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 9 February 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.