Historic Sites of Manitoba: Archibald Museum (RM of Pembina)
Founded by the late William Wallcraft, the museum’s administrative building houses an archive of books and photographs. Surrounding it are buildings that have been moved to the site from nearby areas. Two of Nellie McClung’s homes are featured, both furnished with artifacts and mannequins in period costume, including the 1878 log house where she boarded during her first teaching position (1890-1891), and a large frame house owned by McClung with her druggist husband Wesley (1904-11).
Nearby buildings include the Wilson home, clad in decorative tin siding (built 1880, with an addition from 1908), and the former La Rivière CPR station, a provincially-designated historic site, with its distinctive mansard roof. The station, outfitted as it would have looked during operation, includes an interesting collection of booster cables for locomotive engines. In front of the station is the obligatory wooden caboose, dating from 1913. The former Archibald Methodist Church (Archibald United Church) is also located on the grounds, renovated in the 2000s as part of the Manitoba Prairie Churches Project.
Sheds and a large, three-storey barn are filled with such items as buggies, cars, tractors, machinery, and tools. The second level of the barn has a representation of an old country store with all its goods. There are many free standing items including farm implements throughout the museum grounds, as well as a shed containing aboriginal artifacts.
The museum was located two miles east of La Riviere and four miles north off No. 3 highway, in the Rural Municipality of Pembina. It closed in 2016.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Ed Grassick.
Page revised: 24 June 2017
Back to top of page