Historic Sites of Manitoba: Anworth School No. 158 (RM of Woodworth)
The Anworth School District was organized formally in 1884. Named for a town in Scotland, the R was omitted from the name when it was registered so it is known as Anwoth in some sources. An initial wood frame school building operated at NE24-12-24W in the Rural Municipality of Woodworth and was replaced by a stone structure around 1893. The original school was then moved and used as a stable.
The school closed in 1919 and its students henceforth went to Kenton Consolidated School No. 280. The former school building was demolished but a small rock monument, now mostly overgrown by vegetation and with its metal plaque missing, was erected to commemorate it.
Among the early teachers who worked at Anworth School were A. J. Bell (before 1893), Miss Parrot (circa 1893), Miss Chegwin, Miss Tufts, Miss Snieder, Miss S. Good, and Mr. Todd.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Cradle to Combine: Kenton, 1881-1981 by Kenton History Committee, 1981. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.K45]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 October 2014
Back to top of page