Historic Sites of Manitoba: Adelaide School No. 32 (RM of Portage la Prairie)
The Adelaide School District was established in February 1876 and a school building was constructed on three acres of land at SE7-14-8W donated by farmer David Morrison, in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. In the early 1880s, the building was moved to a new site, near Rat Creek at the southeast corner of NW5-14-8W, on one acre of land purchased for $50 from farmer William Shannon. In the fall of 1912, its students were moved to The Landing School although they remained part of the Adelaide School District and the district was not formally dissolved until 1967, becoming part of the Portage la Prairie School Division. No sign of the former school remains at the site.
Among the teachers of Adelaide School were William Pye (1876-1884), D. A. Nickware (1884-1885), William Pye (1885-1890), D. F. Sinclair (1890-1891), Annie Dale (1890-1892), Laura Mott (1892-1895), L. Cameron (1895-1896), Maggie Bemister (1895-1896), C. E. Bates (1896-1897), Edith Van Alstyne (1897-1900), Maude Kerr (1900-1901), Belle Glennie (1901-1902), Rowena Bourne (1905-1906), William Cameron (1905-1906), Christina McMillan (1906-1907), Robina Coughbrough (1907-1909), Luella Mary MacRae (1909-1910), and Florence H. Howden (1910-1912).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
When the West was Bourne: A History of Westbourne and District, 1860 to 1985 by Westbourne-Longbourne History, 1985, page 579.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 May 2021