Memorable Manitobans: Ernest John Smith (1919-2004)
Born at Winnipeg on 17 December 1919, he studied architecture at the University of Manitoba (receiving the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Gold Medal) and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 1947, in partnership with Dennis H. Carter and Walter Katelnikoff, he established the firm of Smith Carter and Katelnikoff, serving as its managing partner until retirement in 1985. It became one of Canada’s largest architectural and engineering practices, responsible for the design and construction of numerous Winnipeg buildings.
He served as President of the Manitoba Association of Architects (1954-1955, 1956-1959), Chairman of the National Joint Committee on Construction Materials (1963-1965), and Dean (1972-1975) and Chancellor (1979) of the College of Fellows of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. He was a member of the Winnipeg Art Gallery, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra (President, 1969-1971), and Royal Canadian Academy of Arts (1974).
He died at The Pas on 22 October 2004.
“Notice to tender [Glenlawn Collegiate and Windsor School],” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 May 1954, page 38.
“Town of Transcona,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 August 1955, page 44.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 27 October 2004.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 20 December 2022