Memorable Manitobans: Edward Richardson (1879-1919)
Born in Leeds County, Ontario on 10 June 1879, the son of William Richardson and Elizabeth Ann Bracken, he graduated from Queen’s University in Kingston in 1900 and practised medicine in Cachie Bay and Sturgeon Falls, Ontario. On 2 February 1906, he opened a practice in Winnipeg. He became a member of the medical staff of the Children’s Hospital at its organization on 6 February 1909, and was active in establishing the babies’ milk depot. He was one of the first members of the Manitoba Medical Association, formed in 1908. He and wife Mary Elizabeth “Mamie” Behan had two children: John Edward Richardson and Mary Laura Behan Richardson. He died at his Winnipeg home, 112 Ethelbert Street, on 1 December 1919 and was buried in Elmwood Cemetery.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Dr. Edward Richardson,” Manitoba Free Press, 3 December 1919, page 4.
“Deaths and funerals,” Manitoba Free Press, 4 December 1919, page 20.
Pioneers and Early Citizens of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Manitoba Library Association, 1971.
We thank Susan Bracken for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 February 2014
Back to top of page