Memorable Manitobans: Alexander “Sandy” Murray (1839-1913)
Born in Kildonan on 18 April 1839, the son of James Murray and Elizabeth Holmes. He was educated at St. John’s College under Bishop Anderson and won a scholarship in 1857. In 1861 he married Letitia Flett, daughter of the Rev. George Flett and Francis Flett. They had four children.
He was one of the founders of the Winnipeg Board of Trade, in 1873. He was elected to the Manitoba Legislature in 1874 and re-elected in 1878 for the constituency of St. Charles. He vacated his seat to serve as Police Magistrate in East Marquette, but remained in the position briefly. In 1879 he was elected to the legislature for Assiniboia, and re-elected in 1883 as a Conservative. In April he was appointed Speaker of the House in which capacity he served until December 1886. He was appointed Minister of Municipal Affairs 7 July 1887, and remained in office until 30 April 1888. He then accepted a post in the Municipal Commissioner’s office which he held for many years. He was twice a delegate to Ottawa as a promoter of “Better Terms.”
He died at the family residence in St. Charles on 12 May 1913, and was buried in Headingley Cemetery.
A Political Manual of the Province of Manitoba and the North-West Territories by J. P. Robertson, Winnipeg: Call Printing Company, 1887.
Pioneers and Early Citizens of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Manitoba Library Association, 1971.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 June 2017
Back to top of page