Memorable Manitobans: Henry Gordon Lilley (1886-1985)
Born at Winnipeg on 21 March 1886, son of John Lilley (1849-?) and Annie Bennett (1848-?), he worked at the Manitoba School for the Deaf (1908-1926). His tenure included time as the organization’s Bursar and Superintendent (1922-1923) of its new location on Shaftesbury Boulevard. He next worked for the Unemployment Insurance Commission until retirement after which he opened his own accountancy firm. He was a charter member of the Deer Lodge United Church and was a member of the Young United Church. He and his wife Lillian Marnie Lilley (c1889-1968) had a daughter Phyllis (c1917-?, wife of Mr. McRae) and son James Gordon Lilley (?-?). He died at the Central Park Lodge in Winnipeg on 3 January 1985 and was buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.
Birth registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1901 Canada Census, Automated Genealogy.
1926 Canada census, Library and Archives Canada.
“Charleswood,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 September 1922, page 5.
“Children happy in world of vast silence,” Winnipeg Evening Tribune, 3 March 1923, page 11.
“3 new labor offices open in Manitoba,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 August 1942, page 15.
“Engagements [Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Rasmussen ...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 June 1949, page 14.
Obituary [Mrs. Florence Smalley], Winnipeg Tribune, 24 June 1966, page 27.
Obituary, Winnipeg Tribune, 5 January 1985 page 60.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 20 April 2019