Memorable Manitobans: John J. Konrad (1898-1962)
Born at Halbstadt, Ukraine on 23 September 1898, he studied violin in Russia and came to Winkler in 1926, then to Winnipeg in 1931. He served as choirmaster of many churches and taught at the Bornoff School of Music. He was the first head of the music department at the Canadian Mennonite Bible College and in 1941 became head of the Bornoff School, changing its name to the Konrad Conservatory of Music in 1950. The Konrad Conservatory’s student body in the late 1950s (350 pupils) was the largest in Canada and included many subsequently distinguished musicians. Konrad was regarded as too worldly a musician by many Mennonites. He died at his Winnipeg residence, 986 Sherburn Street, on 5 November 1962 and was buried in the Brookside Cemetery.
Birth registration, Canadian Mennonite Board of Colonization.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 7 November 1962, page 32.
We thank Alf Redekopp for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 October 2017
Back to top of page