Memorable Manitobans: Maxwell “Max” Heppner (1881-1957)
Born in London, England in 1881, son of John and Rachel Heppner, he came to Canada in 1885 and was educated at Canora, NWT [now Saskatchewan]. He farmed at Wapella until 1905. He then represented the Jewish Colonization Association from 1905 to 1915, after which he embarked in the grain business at Wapella and came to Winnipeg in 1922, forming the Heppner Elevator Company and the Mitchell Grain & Consumers Elevator Company. He was for many years a member of the Winnipeg Grain Exchange. In later years, he went into the motion picture business.
On 21 June 1916, he married Sara Lyone (?-1960). They had two sons and a daughter. He was a director of Shaarey Zedek Synagogue, Canadian Jewish Congress, and B’nai B’rith Order. He was President of the Zionist Council of Winnipeg, President of the western division of the Zionist organization of Canada, and Vice-President of the Canadian organization. He was a member of the Masons (Mount Sinai Lodge). In 1925, the family lived at 147 Westgate, Winnipeg.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“Builders of Greater Winnipeg,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 June 1931, page 33.
“Max Heppner, city Jewish leader dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 May 1957.
“Active community worker, Mrs. Max Heppner, dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 January 1960.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2021