Memorable Manitobans: John Donohoe (1884-1965)
Dairyman, municipal official.
Born at Dublin, Ireland on 25 December 1884, he worked in the family business before moving to to Canada in 1912. He drove a bread wagon for Canada Bread at Winnipeg before moving to Indian Head, Saskatchewan and working on a farm for a year. He returned to Winnipeg where he married Racy Abenstein (1892-1940) on 23 February 1916 and subsequently had four children: Denis John Donohoe (1916-2007), Maureen Ann Donohoe (1918-2011, wife of Charles S. Pruden), James Patrick “Jim” Donohoe (1921-2009), and John “Blake” Donohoe (1927-2002).
In 1917, he settled in the Petersfield School District where he established a dairy farm. Active in his community, he was a founder and builder of Ste. Anne’s Roman Catholic Church. He served as a Councillor (1941-1947) and Reeve (1952-1957) of the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. He was a member of the Holstein-Freisan Association, the Milk Control Board, the Selkirk Hospital Board, a life-member (1957) of the Manitoba Diary Association, and Director of the St. Andrews and St. Clements Agricultural Society for several years.
He died at Selkirk General Hospital on 7 October 1965 and was buried in Ste. Anne’s Roman Catholic Cemetery at Petersfield.
Marriage and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“St. Andrews gets new Deputy Reeve,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 January 1952, page 14.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 8 October 1965, page 10.
Obituary [John Blake Donohoe], Winnipeg Free Press, 6 July 2002, page C12.
Obituary [Denis John Donohoe], Winnipeg Free Press, 26 May 2007, page C14.
C14 Obituary [James Patrick Donohoe], Winnipeg Free Press, 20 October 2009, page B12.
Obituary [Maureen Ann Pruden], WinnipegWinnipeg Free Press, 12 February 2011, page C18.
Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Gary 1880-1981 - R.M. of St. Andrews by the Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 4 October 2019
Back to top of page