Memorable Manitobans: William Alfred Bishop (1864-1928)
Born at London, England on 24 October 1864, son of Rebecca Derrick and William Edward Bishop, the family came to Canada from England in 1870, settled for a time at Newmarket, afterwards moving to Toronto, Ontario. Bishop came to Manitoba in 1879 where he first worked as chore boy in the office of J. C. Schultz then, in 1880, he took employment with the stationery business of Parsons and Richardson. When Parsons withdrew from the business in 1894, it continued as R. D. Richardson and Company with Bishop as a silent partner. It was later known as Richardson and Bishop, and finally incorporated as Richardson and Bishop Limited. Following Richardson’s retirement in 1911, Bishop carried on the business alone.
He was a member of the Canadian Club of Winnipeg, the Odd Fellows, the Men’s Musical Club, and the Anglican Church. He served as choirmaster of the First Baptist Church for eight years, and Organist and Choir Leader of St. George’s Church for three years. He sang with the Winnipeg Male Voice Choir on their two American tours. He helped to organize the Winnipeg Oratorio Society. His other recreations included boating and photography.
He died at his Winnipeg home, 655 Westminster Avenue, on 30 November 1928.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“W. A. Bishop, pioneer stationer, succumbs,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 December 1928, page 9.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 April 2015