Memorable Manitobans: Edwin Alexander Anderson (1888-1977)
Born at Goodlands on 13 April 1888, son of Roderick Anderson (1831-1901) and Ann “Annie” Stewart (1863-?), in September 1915 enlisted with the 79th Overseas Battalion. Returning from military service, he settled at East Kildonan where, in 1921, he built a home at 227 Munroe Avenue. He resided there for over 50 years and took pride in his neighbourhood. He planted trees and greenery on his property and planted elm trees on the boulevard. He worked as a commercial traveller for the Codville Company, a wholesale trade firm, from 1921 until retirement around 1956.
He was a member of the Canukeena Club, Royal Canadian Legion (Prince Edward Branch), John Black Memorial Church, and East Kildonan Horticultural Society, the latter where he routinely won its annual “best home grounds under 50 feet” award. On 9 June 1920, he married Hazel Irene Murray (1897-1989) in the Rural Municipality of Brenda and had one daughter, Marion Anderson (wife of R. Grant Timlick). In the late summer of 1972, his community efforts were commemorated with the unveiling of Anderson Park.
He later moved to British Columbia, where he died at Vernon on 6 March 1977.
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Death registrations, British Columbia Vital Statistics.
1891 Canada census, Library and Archives Canada.
“The address is ... 115 Birchdale,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 August 1963, page 9.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 9 March 1977, page 52.
Henderson’s Winnipeg Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Timlick/Anderson family tree, Ancestry.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 19 December 2014
Back to top of page