Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sinclair School No. 1051 (Sinclair, RM of Pipestone)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The Sinclair School District was established formally in January 1900 at Sinclair in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. In 1910, the original schoolhouse was replaced by a two-storey brick veneer structure designed by Brandon architect W. A. Elliott. The old school building was sold and moved to NW7-7-28W where it stood until 1979 when it was demolished.

It became Sinclair Consolidated School No. 1051 in 1966. It was replaced by the present structure, now closed, that was built at a cost of $248,125 and opened officially in November 1976. A monument topped by the school bell stands next to the former school building that was converted into a manufacturing facility. The former building for Clover Hill School stands nearby.





Thomas William Ebbern (1879-1970)


Thomas Erroll Babb (1894-1962)


Samuel Alfred Wright (1900-1966)


J. D. Eveleen


Clarence Edgar “Curly” Heapy (1905-1981)


James Cameron Martin (1910-1982)


Duncan Fyfe Cameron (1909-1977)


John Alfred Hammond (1898-1988)


Margaret H. Jasper


Stanley Robert Kitchen (1915-1988)




Alma Elaine [Eileen] Newton Carnochan (1922-2011)


Mrs. Kathleen Durston


Benjamin Franklin Olson (1898-1981)


Chester Crossman


Laurel Edwin Shewchuk


First Sinclair School: Fred G. Leeple (1901), Nellie J. McLachlan (1902), Annie Morrey (1905), Jean McFetridge (1906), Gertie McDougall (1907), Samuel B. Lamont (1907-1908), Roxy Bride (1908), Dora Dale (1909-1910), Mae V. Axford (1910).

Second Sinclair School: Thomas William Ebbern (1911-1921), Mae V. Axford (1911), Luella B. Doig (1911-1913), Elizabeth Troop (1913), Olive F. Francis (1913-1915), James H. Cameron (1915-1916), Ethel Fairlie (1915-1918), Isaiah S. Rudy (1916-1918), Davina Guthrie (1918-1919), Sara E. Donald (1918-1920), Janet McDonald (1919), Anna Mima McIntyre (1920-1921), A. Creasy (1920-1921), Dorothy Tod (1921-1922), Winnie M. Sanderson (1922-1926), Bessie Hyndman (1926-1929), Marjorie Fallis (1926-1928), Vera Johnston (1928-1929), Viola Mark (1929-1930), Vera Johnston (1929-1931), Margaret King (1931-1933), Margorie Atkinson (1931-1933), Miss Greenway (1933-1934), H. M. Crowe (1933-1935), E. Pearl Riddell (1933-1934), E. Lyla Martin (1933-1936), Olive Kristinson (1935-1936), Kay L. Graham (1936-1937), Francis Wilman (1937-1938), Margaret Jasper (1938-1939, 1941), R. Lloyd Smith (1939-1941), E. Jean Appleyard (1940-1941), Kay L. Lewitt (1941), E. K. Stevenson (1941-1942), Ila Cannon (1941-1943), Eileen M. Naylen (1943-1945), Anna B. Fraser (1945-1947), Margaret (1945-1947), J. Langeley (1946-1947), Anna B. Fraser (1947-1950), Marguerite Smith (1947-1948), Mrs. R. Makway (1948-1949), Doreen Baldwin (1949-1950), Mrs. Fred Hall (1950-1952), Mrs. Elsie Hall (1950-1952), Mrs. Irene Oberlin (1952-1955), Myrtiel Rusenel (1955-1956), M. Steve Gerelus (1955-1956), Ruth Gerelus (1955-1956), Mrs. M. Glidden (1956-1958), Mrs. Marlene Shewchuk (1958-1963), Mrs. Irene Graham (1958-1960), Darlene Bothe (1960-1961), Joyce Adair (1961-1963), Ed Thiessen (1963-1965), Mrs. Joyce Davey (1963-1964), Mrs. Alice Reeves (1964-1966), John Wilson (1965-1966), Mrs. Darlene Henderson (1967-1968), George Reimer (1967-1968), Mr. Kailash C. Kapahi (1968-1969), Mrs. Iris Cross (1968-1970), Mrs. Ada Josephson (1968-1970), M. Joy Chambers (1968-1969), Mr. Terry Law (1969-1970), Miss Alice Bartel (1969-1973), Joe Poirier (1970-1971), Henry Schulz (1970-1972), Gwen Veitch (1970-1971, 1972-1975), Joe E. Cop (1971-1976), Mrs. Doreen Sharratt (1971-1972), Mrs. Francis Kroeker (1972-1974), Myrna Brownlee (1973-1974), Mrs. Heather McLachlan (1974-1975), Valerie Wiebe (1974-1975), S. R. Wilcox (1975-1976), Mrs. Carol Tycoles (1975-1976), Ruth Johnson (1975-1976).

Third Sinclair School: Joe E. Cop (1976-1981), Audrey Bartel (1976-1980), Dorothy Braun (1976-1978), Janet Fingas (1976-1978), Mrs. Laura Jean Campbell (1978-1980), Audrey Isaac (1980-1981), Mrs. D. LeBarron (1980-1981), Mrs. C. Workman (1980-1981), Mrs. Diana Cruise (1980-1981).

Photos & Coordinates

The second Sinclair School, constructed in 1910

The second Sinclair School, constructed in 1910 (circa 1910)
Source: Education Department Report, 1910, Manitoba Legislative Library.

The second Sinclair School with a third classroom added

The second Sinclair School with a third classroom added (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 47.

The former Sinclair School building

The former Sinclair School building (June 2020)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Sinclair School commemorative monument

Sinclair School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.56726, W101.28854
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clover Hill School No. 1519 (RM of Pipestone)


Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 653-658. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]

“School opens,” Brandon Sun, 8 December 1976, page 8.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 June 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!