Historic Sites of Manitoba: Roseberry School / Neelin School No. 429 (Neelin, RM of Argyle)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Known as Roseberry School District when it was established formally in September 1885, a brick one-room school building was erected in 1904, in the newly established village of Neelin in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. Its first teacher was Caroline Cumming. Increases in student enrollment, and the opening of high school classes, necessitated the use of a former bank building as additional classroom space for grades 9 to 11 under teacher Florence Warriner of Miami. In August 1941, the district was renamed Neelin School. The brick school was destroyed by fire in 1950 and, while two-classroom (one for high school) replacement was built, classes were held in the Neelin United Church. In 1960, the high school students were transported to Cartwright or Killarney and the school reverted to a single classroom. The school closed in January 1968 and the building was later demolished. A monument at the former site was unveiled in July 1982.

Noteworthy students of Roseberry / Neelin School included Dr. Easton of Selkirk, Eleanor Fisher, Barney Bolton, Bill Bolton, Gordon Henwood, Lloyd Henwood, Hugh McKay, and Grant McKay.





Frances Mills


Charles K. Gorrie


Robert Octavius Picken “Barney” Bolton (1907-1985)


Willard Ervin Rife (1890-1970)


Alfred John Patrick Moran (1903-1967)


Kenneth Donald Bruce (1892-1968)


Mrs. A. M. Young


N. Ione Sampson


Wilma Brusch


H. M. Easton


Ross E. Ramage


Florence Lee


Caroline Cumming (1885-1979)


K. F. Howlett


P. Huebner


Caroline Cumming (1885-1979)




Donald Bruce Sealey (1927-2005)




Mrs. Marie Irene Doole


G. A. Franck


Among the other teachers who worked at Roseberry School / Neelin School through the years were John Wesley Peters (1890s), Miss Florence Warner (1924-1925), Albert Buttress (1892, 1895, 1913), Annie F. Playfair, and Ethel M. Arnott.

Photos & Coordinates

The Roseberry School building, erected in 1904 and destroyed by fire in 1950

The Roseberry School building, erected in 1904 and destroyed by fire in 1950 (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 50.

Monument near the former site of the Neelin School building

Monument near the former site of the Neelin School building (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.22988, W99.34842
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neelin High School (1020 Brandon Avenue, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (Baldur, RM of Argyle)


Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

I Remember: Lights Along the Valley and Huntly by Caroline Cumming, 1970.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

We thank Nathan Kramer and Ann McWhinnie for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 22 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!