Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Northern Prairie Steamboats: Sophia

Built at Icelandic River [now Riverton] in 1884, the Sophia measured 75 feet stem to stern, had a beam of 15 feet, and weighed 51 gross tons. This wood hull tow barge was registered at the same time as her smaller sister-ship, the Laura. Early owners are unknown, though from 1888 to 1891, it was operated by the Lake Winnipeg Transportation Lumber and Trading Company, during which she would have been towed by the Aurora. As of 1891, she was docked at Selkirk. The Sophia fate is unknown, with its Registry closed, in 1897.

Sources:

“Liquidator’s sale,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 19 October 1891, page 5.

Ship Registrations 1787-1966, Laura, Library and Archives Canada.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 3 December 2020

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.