Manitoba Business: Lake Winnipeg Transportation Lumber and Trading Company
The Lake Winnipeg Transportation Lumber and Trading Company (LWTLTC) was incorporated around November 1888. One of the primary founding partners was Captain Jonasson, who also served as Manager. The enterprise was based at Selkirk and held an initial capital stock of $10,000. In addition to the hauling of lumber and raw materials, fishing also formed a foundation of their business model. During its existance, the LWTLTC operated a small fleet including the steamboat Aurora along with barges Laura and Sophia. The venture became insolvent in 1891 and was ordered into liquidation via the Winding Up Act by the Court of Queen’s Bench in Winnipeg, with legal proceedings related to the matter continuing into 1892.
“City and country [The Manitoba Gazette contains ...],” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 23 November 1888, page 4.
“Excursions over Lake Winnipeg,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 16 July 1890, page 7.
“The reportorial round [The steamer Aurora ... & Capt. Bergman ...],” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 30 September 1890, page 4.
“Lake Winnipeg,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 22 July 1890, page 8.
“In the Queen’s Bench,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 12 January 1891, page 4.
“City and country [Mr. H. H. Smith has been appointed ...],” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 3 February 1891, page 6.
“Liquidator’s sale,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 19 October 1891, page 5.
“Riel rebellion claim [Be the Aurora],” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 15 September 1892, page 8.
“The Exchequer court,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 17 September 1892, page 8.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 7L - Lake Winnipeg Transportation Lumber & Trading Company, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 3 December 2020