Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Northern Prairie Ships: Aubigny Ferry / Stockton Ferry

Built at Winnipeg in 1945, the Aubigny Ferry measured 47.8 feet in length, 18.4 feet in width, 3 feet in draught, and displaced 24 gross (and net) tonnes. It had a steel hull and a wooden deck, atop which four passenger vehicles could be parked. The Aubigny Ferry was commissioned for use as both a passenger and vehicle ferry for the Aubigny Ferry Crossing just west of Aubigny in the Rural Municipality of Morris. It operated from 1945 through the 1965 season and was replaced with the opening of the nearby Aubigny Bridge in December 1965.

In February 1966, Aubigny Ferry was purchased by the Rural Municipality of South Cypress for $2,500 and transported to the Stockton Ferry Crossing at a cost of $700. Renamed Stockton Ferry on 13 April 1966, it replaced the previous Stockton Ferry and saw service at that crossing between 1966 and 1989. During this time several modifications were made, and while the wood deck remained around the same size (later indicated as 46 feet long by 20 feet wide), steel ramps had been added to each end, each measuring 12 feet long and matching 20 foot wide. By the late 1980s, the ferry required repairs to start several operating seasons. When the Treesbank Bridge opened in September 1989, the R.M. of South Cypress purchased the Treesbank Ferry III and moved it to the Stockton Ferry Crossing. With the approach of the 1990 season, the Stockton Ferry [formerly Aubigny Ferry] was deemed surplus to requirements and, by March of that year, was put up for sale. The municipality sold it for scrap to Lionel W. “Bud” Miller in May 1991 and it removed from the site that season.

Owners

Period

Owner

1945-1966

Rural Municipality of Morris

1966-1991

Rural Municipality of South Cypress

Sources:

“Brakes fail: three die as car plunges off ferry,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 June 1957, page 3.

“He didn’t want his car wrecked,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 June 1957, page 5.

“Scene of multiple drowning at Aubigny Ferry,” Steinbach Carillon, 21 June 1957, page 1.

“Rail saves lives on Kleefeld women,” Steinbach Carillon, 9 June 1961, page 23.

“R.M. of Morris asks bridge at Aubigny,” Steinbach Carillon, 9 March 1962, page 1.

“Ferry half sinks as ice gives way,” Steinbach Carillon, 29 March 1963, page 1.

“A new bridge to span Red River at Aubigny,” Steinbach Carillon, 3 April 1964, page 1.

“Historic flashback,” Glenboro Gazette, 11 August 1966, page 3.

“Aubigny celebrates opening of new Red River Bridge,” Steinbach Carillon, 29 September 1966, page 1.

“Aubigny bridge,” Steinbach Carillon, 29 September 1966, page 5.

“R. M. of South Cypress,” Glenboro Gazette, 23 February 1966, page 4.

“R.M. of South Cypress Council report,” Glenboro Gazette, 2 May 1979, page 16.

“R.M. of South Cypress Council minutes,” Glenboro Gazette, 18 July 1979 page 3.

“Stockton Ferry site "spruced up",” Glenboro Gazette, 22 October 1980, page 1.

“Stockton news,” Glenboro Gazette, 26 March 1986, page 4.

“Stockton news,” Glenboro Gazette, 30 April 1986, page 2.

“Work starts to replace Treesbank Ferry,” Brandon Sun, 26 August 1988, page 2.

“Treesbank Bridge opened,” Glenboro Gazette, 4 October 1989, page 4.

“Bridge opens - ferry closes,” Glenboro Gazette, 4 October 1989, page 4.

“R.M. of South Cypress report,” Glenboro Gazette, 31 January 1990, page 3.

“For sale by tender,” Brandon Sun, 17 March 1990, page 56.

“[Photo caption; Members of the Manitoba Heritage Council ...],” Glenboro Gazette, 27 June 1990, page 3.

“P.R. No. 304 to be revested to municipal status,” Glenboro Gazette, 13 June 1990, page 13.

“Old Stockton Ferry purchase ofer accepted,” Glenboro Gazette, 29 May 1991, page 7.

Aubigny Ferry, The Nauticapedia Project.

We thank John MacFarlane (Nauticapedia) and Donna Fillion (Municipality of Glenboro-South Cypress) for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 12 February 2022

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.