Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winterton School No. 716 (RM of Oakview)
The Winterton School District was established in June 1891. Initially, classes were held in the home of Allan Winterton, a bachelor farmer, until a school building was built on a land parcel that he donated, at SE18-15-19W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Oakview. In 1904, the building was moved south about 1½ miles to the south side of 7-15-19W. The school closed in 1916 and henceforth students from this area went to Basswood Consolidated School. The building was sold and moved to Basswood where it was renovated into a private residence.
The teachers who worked at Winterton School through the years included Arthur Martin (1892), Joseph Knight (1902), James Robertson (1903), M. V. Willoughby (1904), Ellen Morrison (1905), Miss M. E. Kilfoyle (1906), Mr. A. D. McKinnon (1907-1908), Miss V. M. Poole (1909-1910), Florence Rose Brown (1911), Irene Lovell (1912-1913), Martha E. Delmage Bolton (1914), Agnes M. Graham (1915), and Christie Thompson Dickie (1915-1916).
Basswood Leaves From the Past, Basswood & District Centennial, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38Bas]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Basswood, 1878-1978: A Century of Living by Basswood and District Historical Book Society, 1980. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38 Bas]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2017
Back to top of page