Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Amphitheatre (49 Whitehall Avenue, Winnipeg)
The Winnipeg Amphitheatre at the northeast corner of the intersection between Colony Street and Whitehall Avenue—now subsumed into a parking lot of Great West Life Assurance—was once the largest of its kind in North America. Built for horse shows in 1908 on a design by Winnipeg architects Ralph B. Pratt and Donald A. Ross, it was also used for skating as well as other public and private events. It became the major venue for hockey games in the city after its seating capacity was doubled to about 6,000 in 1914.
“Cyclones of merriment greet opening act of Winter Club carnival,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 March 1931, page 16.
“An Immense Hold in the Public Estimation:” The First Quarter Century of Hockey in Manitoba, 1886-1911 by Morris Mott, Manitoba History, Number 43, Spring/Summer 2002.
We thank Michael Park for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 June 2017
Back to top of page