Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Boniface Public Library Windsor Park Branch / Winnipeg Public Library Windsor Park Branch (955 Cottonwood Road, Winnipeg)
Located near the northeast corner of Cottonwood Road and Autumnwood Drive in Winnipeg, this one-storey building was designed by the architectural firm of Zunic & Sobkowich, one of three libraries built for the City of St. Boniface in 1961, along with the Provencher Park Branch and Norwood Branch, as part of a $200,000 planned expansion of library services. The facility was completed at a cost of $90,000 and opened to membership registrations in January 1962. An official opening by Mayor Joseph-Philippe Guay occurred on 6 May 1962, with local notables including Alderman (and Library Board Chairman) Thomas Lonergan, Library Board Vice-Chairman Donald Lamond, and President of the Manitoba Library Association Marjorie Morley. After Unicity amalgamation, it became part of the Winnipeg Public Library and remained in operation as the Windsor Park Library until closing on 24 February 2018. It was replaced with a new Windsor Park Library, at 1195 Archibald Street, which opened on 15 March 2018.
“Tenders - Notice of Tenders for the construction of the St. Boniface Public Library Windsor Park site [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 January 1961, page 55.
“Thriving suburb - in six years,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 September 1961, page 5.
“New expansion for Windsor Park,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 October 1961, page 5.
“New Windsor Park Library opening for registrations,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 January 1962, page 3.
“Library opening Sunday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 May 1962, page 3.
[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 7 May 1962, page 3.
Library Renovation & Renewal Projects, New Windsor Park Library, Winnipeg Public Library.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 2 July 2020