Historic Sites of Manitoba: Willow Heights School No. 1029 / McTavish School No. 1029 (RM of Morris)
The Willow Heights School District was formally established in August 1899. A school building operated in the Rural Municipality of Morris, initially at SW14-6-1E. In 1950, the district was renamed to McTavish and a new building was erected at SW11-6-1E, about one mile south. The school closed in June 1966 and henceforth students in this area went to Rosenort Consolidated School No. 2455. In September 2015, a sign commemorating the school was erected at the site.
Among the teachers who worked at Willow Heights School were Maude A. Moore (1899-1900) and Arnold Hildebrand (1965-1966).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Furrows in the Valley: A History of the Municipality and its People compiled by the Morris History Book Committee, edited by Lenore Eidse, 1980.
Aerial photograph A11638-142 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
We thank Mariette Allen for assistance in locating an aerial photograph of Willow Heights School.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 November 2020