Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wilford School No. 1178 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)

The Wilford School District was established in February 1902 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE15-24-21W in what is now the Municipality of Gilbert Plains. The original wood frame school building was destroyed by fire on 1 September 1933 and a new, two-classroom structure replaced it. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Intermountain School Division. The former school building was sold and moved to a nearby farm where it was converted into a hog barn. A sign marks the school’s original location.

Among the teachers of Wilford School was Stephen Negrych (1948-1950).

The original Wilford School building, destroyed in 1933

The original Wilford School building, destroyed in 1933 (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 72.

The second, two-classroom Wilford School building

The second, two-classroom Wilford School building (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 72.

The second, two-classroom Wilford School building

The second, two-classroom Wilford School building (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 72.

The second, two-classroom Wilford School building

Students of Wilford School with teacher Stephen Negrych (circa 1948)
Source: Negrych Pioneer Homestead

Wilford School commemorative sign

Wilford School commemorative sign (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.07501, W100.32094
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Two-roomed school near Gilbert Plains is burned,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 September 1933, page 3.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.

We thank Ed Arndt and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 15 August 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.