Historic Sites of Manitoba: White Plains School No. 2280 (RM of Cartier)
The White Plains School District was organized formally in April 1937 and a schoolhouse operated at the southeast corner of NE19-10-1W in the Rural Municipality of Cartier. Low student enrollment forced the school to close in June 1959. The district was dissolved in 1960 and its catchment area was divided between the Starbuck Consolidated School District and the Nanton School District. It later became part of the White Horse Plain School Division. The former school building was moved to a nearby farmyard (about N49.86674, W97.61631) where it was converted into a garage.
The teachers of White Plains School were M. Stephen (1937-1939), A. Smith (1939-1941), W. E. Balfour (1941-1942), Doris Scott (1942-1943), E. Johnson (1943-1944), Phyllis Ward Johnson (1944-1947), J. Makowsky (1947), Mrs. Fillion (1948), Frances Sanderson (1948-1949), Rene Grosser (1949-1950), Frances Sanderson (1950-1952), Joan Dunn (1952-1953), Phyllis Rasmussen (1953-1955), Shirley Rasmussen (1955-1956), J. Ferance (1956-1958), and Joanne Kjartenson (1958-1959).
School District Formation Files [White Plains School District No. 2280], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Treasures of Time: The Rural Municipality of Cartier, 1914-1984 by RM of Cartier, c1985. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.C37 Tre]
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
We thank Maria Zbigniewicz for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 September 2020