Historic Sites of Manitoba: West Favelle School No. 1037 (Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)
The West Favelle School District was organized formally in September 1899, the first district in the Swan River Valley, and its opening ceremony was performed by school inspector T. M. Maguire. It operated a one-room wood frame school building on the southwest quarter of 1-37-26 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman. The school closed in 1962. The former school building is no longer present at the site but a monument, erected in 1973, commemorates it. Items from the former school are held at the Swan Valley Historical Museum.
Among the teachers of West Favelle School were Douglas Durkin (1901-1902), Mrs. Florence Henderson, and Mrs. Grant Heyes.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
We thank Roberta Jensen and Yolanda Davidowich for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 August 2018
Back to top of page