Historic Sites of Manitoba: Weidman Warehouse (244-246 Jarvis Avenue, Winnipeg)

This three-storey brick building on Jarvis Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Max Zev Blankstein and built in 1910 for wholesale grocers Mordecai S. Weidman and Hiram L. Weidman of Weidman Brothers Limited. Originally measuring 38 feet by 70 feet, it was built at a cost of about $20,000.

In 1916, a one-storey brick stable, measuring 50 feet by 60 feet, was added beside it by contractor Arthur John Bonnett at a cost of about $8,000. Then, in 1919, a two-storey addition was made to the rear, also by Bonnett, for $9,000. All of these additions were designed by Blankstein. In 1928, the building was damaged by fire with repairs being done by the construction firm of Langford and Birch at a cost of about $4,000. While repairs were underway, further damage was caused by another fire with those repairs also being done by Langford and Birch at a cost of about $500.

Occupied by Weidman Brothers Limited until Autumn 1967, when the firm moved to new premises on Bunting Street, this building was later occupied by Imperial Soap and Supplies Limited.

At the time of a 2022 site visit, a “ghost sign” for Weidman Brothers was partially visible on the west side of the building.

Weidman Warehouse

Weidman Warehouse (May 2022)
Source: Jordan Makichuk

Weidman Warehouse

Weidman Warehouse (May 2022)
Source: Jordan Makichuk

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90816, W97.13614
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Max Zev Blankstein (1874-1931)

Memorable Manitobans: Hiram L. Weidman (1863-1933)

Memorable Manitobans: Mordecai S. Weidman (1864-1952)

Memorable Manitobans: Neiman J. Weidman (1885-1960)

Memorable Manitobans: Arthur John Bonnett (1874-1942)

Manitoba Business: Langford and Birch

Sources:

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 423/1910, City of Winnipeg Archives.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 560/1916, City of Winnipeg Archives.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1396/1919, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Groceries-wholesale,” Manitoba Free Press, 26 January 1920, page 16.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 633/1928, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Building permits,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 April 1928, page 11.

“Winnipeg permits near $2,000,000 mark for 1928 season,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 April 1928, page 32.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1162/1928, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Winnipeg building permits $1,405,000 ahead of last season,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 May 1928, page 53.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

“Warehouse, 244 Jarvis Ave., Weidman Building,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 November 1967, page 36.

Max Blankstein: Architect by Murray Peterson, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation, 2022.

This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 22 May 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!