Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Watson School No. 1327 (Municipality of Hamiota)

The Watson School District was established formally in February 1905 and a school building was situated at this spot in the Rural Municipality of Hamiota. It closed in 1920 and its remaining students went to Hamiota School No. 692, Lavinia School No. 435, or McConnell School No. 1711. The school building is long gone but a metal monument at the site commemorates it.

Watson School commemorative sign

Watson School commemorative sign (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.24080, W100.62362
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 30 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.